"ART is a word which summarizes THE QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION. "
L. Ron Hubbard

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What is Fauve?

Wikipedia describes Fauve as follows: "Les Fauves (French for The Wild Beasts) were a short-lived and loose grouping of early 20th century Modern artists whose works emphasized painterly qualities and strong colour over the representational or realistic values retained by Impressionism. While Fauvism as a style began around 1900 and continued beyond 1910, the movement as such lasted only three years, 1905–1907, and had three exhibitions. The leaders of the movement were Henri Matisse and AndrĂ© Derain."

In 2008, when I was part of a short-lived group called Max-21, I did an experimental self portrait which I titled "Self-Portrait, Fauve." It's pictured here and you can see a larger version of it on my gallery site. I donated it to the Art League of Alexandria for their annual fund-raiser. I was interested to find that, not only did it sell (not surprising) but also received an Honorable Mention prize. (No money, though, alas!)

No comments: