"ART is a word which summarizes THE QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION. "
L. Ron Hubbard

Monday, March 22, 2010

Depth perception

One of the things that makes painting on a flat surface interesting and a challenge is its limitations. You are, in essence, trying to “capture” the attention of the viewer. The illusion of depth is one way to do that. If you can bring the viewer into the canvas and move him visually around the canvas, you have created a sort of depth space. I refer you to my article The Third Dimension for more on depth. The painting I show here, finished this Fall, risks this by a sky just a bit too blue. But I think it works. See if you agree or not and why. It is a view of Monument Valley done from a reference photo. (16 x 20, acrylic, available in my eBay store until April 18th.)

monument_valley

No comments: