"ART is a word which summarizes THE QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION. "
L. Ron Hubbard

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Leafy Tunnel, Little Falls Creek — Notes

Leafy Tunnel Little Falls Creek just sold on eBay. A few words about this little painting.

I was about 30 years old when I painted this, I think. I was between jobs and living with my mother in Bethesda MD just across the district line and Little Falls Creek ran behind a tall apartment building across the street from her condo at 4620 N. Park Ave. By walking around the side of the apartment building and climbing down a fairly steep path, we found a shady spot to paint some nature in the middle of the city. The day that I painted this picture, mother had gone to work and I found that I had run completely out of Cadmium Yellow. I was determined to paint, however, so I used Naples Yellow (a pale and slightly muted yellow) instead. That accounts for the overall cool look of the painting. It was painted all in one sitting. The very visible brushwork is typical of my early work, as I was strongly influenced by Cezanne and the impressionists.

I offer some of my paintings periodically on eBay. If you're interested in my work, go to ebay.com and do a search on COULTER. That's my signature name and I include it in each listing.

No comments: