"ART is a word which summarizes THE QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION. "
L. Ron Hubbard

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Use of Green in Landscapes

This is a very GREEN planet, green and blue. And green can be an overwhelming color, particularly when used by an art student out of the tube. Tube greens tend to be very pure and high hue, often very minty. It's a dominant color. There are some greens that work well in landscapes, such as Chromium Oxide Green or Sap Green. Chrome Oxide is a somewhat dull green. Sap green is sharp and yellowish but transparent so good for glazes. It mixes with other paints but doesn't cover underpainting completely. See more on green in my free art lesson.

But I've simply eliminated green from my basic palette. Partly this came about because, when I started teaching painting, I wanted a limited palette that would allow students to mix all colors but wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Here's a painting I just finished (Suburban Spring) that contains a lot of green but was painted using my limited palette. Notice that the parts hit directly by the sun are yellow green and the darker areas are more of a blue green. In mixing most of the greens, I've mixed either thalo green and cadmium yellow and added a tiny bit of either cadmium red or alizarin crimson, or, for a duller green, ultramarine blue (which is cooler than thalo) and cadmium yellow or nickle titanate yellow (a cool yellow) with a little bit of red. To relieve the green-ness of the painting, I've included a significant amount of neutral greys  and accents of red (the complement of green.) I hope you enjoy the result.

No comments: